Who would have thought that geographical boundaries and temporal barriers could vanish quickly, especially in a sector like education? Since the COVID-19 Pandemic, it has become clear that online learning is the most reliable solution to disseminate knowledge and make the process even more efficient and accessible.
The online education industry is set to hit the USD 325 billion threshold, and markets like Thailand, India, China, and the Philippines are experiencing a whopping 30 percent yearly growth. Thus, there has never been a better time to see e-learning software development as an appealing business opportunity and a winning solution.
And the fact that Ed-tech is flourishing in 2024, almost 3 years after the pandemic, proves that it is not a fleeting trend. If you have been thinking of creating an online learning platform, this is the right time. But the looming question is, how do you create an e-learning platform that thrives and provides value?
There are many things, including an open-source education script for an online learning platform! What is it all about? Let’s find out!
Ways to Build an Online Learning Platform – The Five-Step Guide
- Understand Your Niche
The first step towards any product development is to find a problem worth solving. Without a problem, your online learning platform will not emerge as a pertinent solution in the market. So, it is bound to get lost in other similar solutions.
Some of the questions you should ask yourself to define the market problem and its solutions are –
- What challenges did you face in education during your time?
- What are the most relevant contemporary hurdles in the education domain?
- How can you address these challenges?
- What can be improved in your niche?
- Who are your competitors?
- What do they lack?
2. Gauge the Solution
After you have jotted down the challenges and picked out the problems your brand would solve in the online learning sector, it is time to be more specific. Consider the type of eLearning platform and its features. These include –
- Online tutoring platforms, such as Chegg
- Video-based -Learning, such as LinkedIn Learning
- Learning Management Systems (LMS), such as Moodle
- Massive Open Online Courses (MOOC), such as Harvard and Stanford
- Online Employee Training, such as EdEx
Then, you must figure out the must-have traits to onboard into your platform to satisfy and provide value to future users. Some ideas include –
- Notes sharing
- Blackboard feature
- Virtual classroom
- Lecture recording feature
- Social learning tools, such as group discussions, forums, personal blogs, etc)
- High-quality learning resources
3. Choose the Tech Stack
Now that the creative nitty-gritty and brainstorming of the online learning platform is over, it is time to hunker down on the technical aspects. To get a clearer picture of the platform’s functionality, you must set the budget required to bring life to the idea and raincheck on the features that can be added later.
Some of the aspects you need to figure out are –
- The budget and time frame
- The functionality of the platform and its APIs
- You want to make the platform web-based, app-based, or cross-platform
Choose the ideal software development partner to ensure that your online learning platform sees the day of light and reaches the right target audience. They will be involved in the gathering, planning, wireframe creation, development, testing, product release, and further platform maintenance.
Thus, building an e-learning portal can cost between USD 75000 to 105000, depending on various factors.
4. Opting for an Open-source Education Script for Online Learning Platform – An Excellent Alternative
If you do not have a massive budget that ranges in the six figures, then is your dream of creating an online learning platform over? Not! In such a context, open-source education scripts come to the rescue. Developing an online learning platform can break your bank account. The process is time-consuming and laborious, too. But, with an open-source script, the development time and costs are significantly reduced, as you already have a robust basic framework.
Some of the other benefits of opting for an open-source education script for online learning platforms are-
- Customizations and Tailor-made Solutions – An open-source education script is the foundation of your online learning platform. Still, it is very possible to customize it to match your vision. You can add logos, change the color theme, and customize the interface to make it unique and attuned to the brand voice.
- Wide Selection of Courses – With an open-source education script, you can offer diverse courses on different subjects. Thus, the scope of your prospective audience widens.
- Revenue and Profits – An open-source education script has built-in monetization features, such as course sales, subscription plans, commission management, etc. Thus, you can generate revenue from the get-go!
- User-friendly and Seamless Interface – The fourth advantage of opting for an open-source education script for your platform is that you are assured of a user-friendly interface. Thus, it becomes easy for both instructors and learners to navigate and use the platform. Hence, client retention is guaranteed.
5. Test Your Ideas on Real Users
Last but not least, after all the creative, market-oriented, and technical aspects of your online learning platform are taken care of, it is time to delve into the real deal. Whether you choose an open-source education script for an online learning platform or take the expensive route of hiring a development team, it is crucial to test the final product.
Begin by attracting your first clients, students, or teachers. Then, take their feedback. It will help you understand what works best for the customer and which areas need information. Do not sleep on the feedback; it is a goldmine that can take your platform to new heights and successes.
Wrapping It Up
So, there we have it: a crisp overview of creating an online learning platform and how an open-source education script can help!