It’s always a bad feeling to balance your books and come across the notorious QuickBooks Error 179. This standard error has a knack for interrupting your financial workflow. But worry no more! This detailed guide aims to tackle the issue head-on, providing multiple actionable solutions that have been proven to resolve error 179.
Table of Contents
So whether you’re a seasoned QuickBooks veteran or a newbie just getting started, read on to discover the strategies you need to get back on track swiftly.
Reasons for QuickBooks Error 179
Several factors contribute to the occurrence of QuickBooks Error 179:
- Corrupted or damaged files within the Windows registry
- Incorrect financial institution data in the QuickBooks Banking Panel
- Accumulated browser data disrupting QuickBooks performance
Fix QuickBooks Error 179
Solution 1: Repairing the Windows Registry
Corrupt files in the Windows registry could be the primary cause of Error 179. Repairing the registry can help resolve this. Here’s how you can do it:
- Firstly, click the start button and type the command in the search bar. Before hitting enter, press CTRL, Shift, and Enter together.
- Secondly, you’ll get a prompt for permission; click Yes.
- Now, in the new window, type regedit and press enter.
- Afterward, in the Registry Editor, select the key related to Error 179 for which you want to back up.
- Here, choose Export from the File menu.
- Select the folder in the Save In list where you want to save the backup key.
- Confirm that the Selected branch is marked in the Export Range box. Now save the file.
- Now you have successfully backed up your registry. Try rerunning QuickBooks and see if the problem persists.
Solution 2: Update Financial Institution Data in QuickBooks Banking Panel
The problem may lie within your banking panel if the error still exists. Incorrect data can lead to QuickBooks Error 179. The following are the steps:
- Firstly, launch your QuickBooks software.
- Secondly, navigate to the Tools tab present in the menu.
- In the Tools section, find and click on the Online Center.
- Once in the Online Center, you must identify and select your financial institution. Pick the specific choice that aligns with your requirements.
- Subsequently, press the keys Ctrl + F3 together on your keyboard.
- Now, return to the Online Center. Here, search for and select the Contact Info option.
- At this point, you should update or refresh your financial institution.
- The system will now display your profile information on your screen. Make sure to check it for precision.
- Following this, you must proceed to update your QuickBooks Desktop software. This is crucial to ensure you work with the latest features and bug fixes.
- Now, focus on the Update/Send option and click on it.
- If prompted, input your password. This is a security measure to ensure authorized access.
- Having done this, the next move is to carry out an update of your account.
- To conclude, you should verify if the issue has been resolved.
Solution 3: Use QuickBooks Desktop File Doctor
The QuickBooks Desktop File Doctor can detect and resolve the QuickBooks error 179. The following are the steps:
- Firstly, download the QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Secondly, go to the Company File Issues section.
- After that, click on Run QuickBooks File Doctor.
- This tool will scan your files and fix any issues it detects.
Solution 4: Clear the Browsing Data
Accumulated browser data might interfere with QuickBooks, causing Error 179. Clearing browsing data can potentially solve this:
- Open Chrome and hit n the three-dot icon.
- Select More Tools from the dropdown menu, then Clear Browsing Data.
- In the new window, select the Cached images and files checkbox.
- Click on Clear data.
- Open Firefox, click on the three-line icon in the top right corner.
- Click on Options, then Privacy & Security.
- Go to Cookies and Site Data section and, then click on Clear Data.
- Check the Cached Web Content box in the pop-up window and click on Clear.
- Open Edge and hit on the three-dot icon
- From the dropdown menu, select Settings.
- Click on Privacy, search, and Services.
- Scroll down to the Clear browsing data section and click Choose what to clear.
- Check the Cached images and files box and then click on Clear.
- Open Safari, and hit on Safari in the menu bar.
- From the dropdown menu, select Preferences.
- Click on the Advanced tab and tick the Show Develop menu in the menu bar checkbox.
- From the menu bar, choose Develop, then Empty Caches.
QB Error 179 might seem daunting, but it’s solvable. Whether the issue lies within your Windows registry, financial institution data, undiagnosed QuickBooks files, or simply your browser data, these solutions should help you get back on track. Always keep your data consistent and your system clean for optimal QuickBooks performance. Here’s to smooth and efficient financial management!