As the eCommerce industry grows, the mobile shopping experience is more critical than ever. With an increasing number of consumers using smartphones and tablets to browse and shop online, businesses must optimize their BigCommerce-based websites for mobile devices. However, ensuring that your BigCommerce store is mobile-friendly requires some technical assistance from a reliable BigCommerce development company optimization strategies. Now, let’s explore how to optimize your BigCommerce store for mobile devices, focusing on the technical aspects.
Table of Contents
Key Elements to Remember for Optimizing BigCommerce Website for Mobile
A responsive web design is the foundation of a mobile-friendly eCommerce site. BigCommerce provides responsive themes that automatically adapt to various screen sizes. However, ask your hired eCommerce design company to make customizations to fit your brand better and improve user experience.
Choose a responsive theme: Select a BigCommerce theme that is designed to be responsive, ensuring that your website adapts to different screen sizes and orientations seamlessly.
Custom CSS: If necessary, you can use custom CSS to fine-tune the design and layout for mobile devices. This may involve adjusting fonts, margins, or other styling elements to optimize the mobile experience.
Image optimization: Compress and optimize product images to reduce loading times on mobile devices. This is crucial for ensuring a fast and seamless shopping experience.
This means that Google will primarily use the mobile version of your website to rank and index it for the SERP. To ensure your BigCommerce store ranks well on search engines, you must make your site mobile-friendly.
- Mobile optimization tools: Utilize tools like Google’s Mobile-Friendly Test and PageSpeed Insights to assess your website’s mobile performance and make improvements based on their recommendations.
- Structured data: Implement structured data markup to provide search engines with information about your products, reviews, and pricing, which can enhance the visibility of your products in search results.
Page Speed Optimization
Mobile users have little-to-no patience for slow-loading websites. Improving your website’s page speed is essential for a smooth shopping experience. The company offering BigCommerce development services can optimize page speed for a better customer experience.
- Image optimization: Use image compression tools to reduce the size of images without sacrificing quality. BigCommerce’s built-in image optimization can help with this.
- Content Delivery Network (CDN): Implement a CDN to serve static assets from servers located closer to the user, reducing latency and load times.
- Lazy loading: Employ lazy loading for images and other assets to defer loading until needed, improving initial page load times.
Navigation plays a crucial role in the mobile user experience. A user-friendly, mobile-optimized navigation menu can help customers find what they’re looking for quickly and easily.
Simplify menu structure: Keep the navigation menu concise and straightforward, focusing on the most important categories and products.
Hamburger menu: Consider using a “hamburger” menu icon that expands when tapped, revealing additional menu options. This conserves screen space and keeps the interface clean.
Search functionality: Make sure the search bar is prominently placed and easily accessible, allowing users to search for products with ease.
Touch-Friendly Design and Interface
Mobile users interact with your website using touch gestures, so it’s crucial to design with touch in mind.
- Button and link size: Ensure buttons and links are large enough to tap comfortably without accidentally tapping adjacent elements. Use the recommended pixel size for it.
- Spacing: Leave enough space between interactive elements to prevent accidental taps and improve the user experience.
- Mobile forms: Optimize forms for mobile by using mobile-friendly input types (e.g., “tel” for phone numbers) and use clear labels and validation messages.
Seamless Checkout Experience
A seamless and user-friendly checkout process is vital for mobile eCommerce. A complicated or lengthy checkout can lead to cart abandonment.
- Single-page checkout: Consider implementing a single-page checkout process, which minimizes steps and reduces friction for mobile shoppers.
- Guest checkout: Allow customers to check out as guests, eliminating the need for account creation, which can be a barrier on mobile devices.
- Auto-fill and save: Enable features like auto-fill for forms and the option to save shipping and payment information for returning customers, making future purchases quick and convenient.
Test and Monitor
Regular testing and monitoring are essential to maintain a mobile-optimized BigCommerce store. The BigCommerce app development company you hire will Use mobile emulators to preview and test your site on various mobile devices and screen sizes. They will also conduct A/B tests to optimize elements like button placement, color schemes, and call-to-action text to improve mobile conversion rates.
Optimizing your BigCommerce store for mobile is essential as more shoppers prefer using smartphones to buy their preferred products. By implementing the elements discussed above, you can ensure that your BigCommerce store provides an exceptional mobile shopping experience to your customers. Additionally, you must also hire a professional company like Successive Digital that can offer regular testing and monitoring as a part of their BigCommerce development services. Frequent testing and updates will keep your store well-optimized for mobiles and improve customer satisfaction.